You need to meet all of the following conditions to meet the JEE Advanced 2020 eligibility criteria:
JEE Advanced 2020 Eligibility Condition 1: Performance in JEE Main 2020
To be eligible to write JEE Advanced 2020, you must be in top 224,000 students in JEE Main 2020. That means to be eligible to appear in JEE Advanced 2020, firstly, you need to appear in Paper - I of JEE Main 2020 which will be held by NTA in January and April 2020. Secondly, you should rank in JEE Main 2020 in the top 2,45,000 candidates in Paper-1. Only top 2,24,000 candidates (including all categories) who qualify in Paper - I of JEE Main 2020 will be eligible to appear for JEE Advanced 2020.
Distribution of top 2,20,000 candidates across various categories is as follows:
- Top 1,13,120 (50.5%) Common Merit List (General - Open) Including 5,656 for PwD
- Top 60,480 (27%) Other Backward Classes-Non creamy layer OBC (NCL) Including 3,024 for PwD
- Top 33,600 (15 %) Scheduled Caste (SC) Including 1680 for PwD
- Top 16,800 (7.5 %) Scheduled Tribe (ST) Including 840 for PwD
5% of the total candidates in each category are reserved for PwD candidates.
JEE Advanced 2020 Eligibility Condition 2: Age Limit
If you belong to GEN-Open or OBC-NCL category, you should have been born on or after October 1, 1993. If you belong to SC, ST or PwD category, you have a relaxation for 5 years and accordingly you should have been born on or after October 1, 1988.
JEE Advanced 2020 Eligibility Condition 3: Number of Attempts
You are permitted to attempt JEE Advanced a maximum of two consecutive times. Accordingly, for appearing in JEE Advanced 2020, you should be appearing either for the first time or it must be your second consecutive attempt. In other words, if you have appeared in JEE Advanced 2018 or any of the earlier years, you are NOT eligible to appear for JEE Advanced 2020.
JEE Advanced Eligibility 2020 Condition 4: Appearance in Class XII (or equivalent)
You should have appeared for the Class XII (or equivalent) examination for the first time in either 2019 or 2020. However if you appeared for Class XII in 2020 and your Board declared the results after 30th June 2020, you would still be eligible to appear in JEE Advanced 2020, if you fulfill all other eligibility conditions.
JEE Advanced Eligibility Condition 5: Earlier admission at IITs/ISM
You are not eligible to appear in JEE Advanced 2020, if
- You took admission at any of the IITs or ISM in the past (whether or not you continued in the course); or
- You accepted admission by reporting at a reporting centre in the past; or
- If your admission to any IITs or ISM was cancelled in the past.
However, if you joined a preparatory course in any of the IITs in 2019, you would be eligible to appear in JEE Advanced 2020.
If you had paid seat acceptance fee in 2019, you would still be eligible to appear in JEE Advanced 2020 If you:
- did not report at any reporting centre; or
- withdrew before the last round of seat allotment; or
- had your seat cancelled (for whatever reason) before the last round of seat allotment for IITs, during the joint seat allocation in 2018.