National Testing Agency would be conducting JEE Main 2021 in computer-based mode (CBT).
Highlights of JEE Main 2021
Following are the major highlights of JEE Main 2021:
- JEE Main would be held four times in the year 2021, in the month of February, March, April and May 2021.
- You would have option to appear either in the February attempt of JEE Main or in March attempt or in April attempt or in May attempt or in all four attempts of JEE Main. If you appear in all four attempts of the paper, best of the four would be considered for your ranking and admission to NITs, IIITs and other SFTIs and yes, for determining eligibility for JEE Advanced.
- JEE Main would be compulsorily a Computer Based Test (CBT).
- Due to the pandemic and lockdown, this year NTA has revised the pattern for the JEE Main 2021 exam to include choice of questions. Compared to last year, the new pattern will include 30 questions (out of which 20 will be single correct MCQs) and the remaining 10 will be numerical value type questions. Out of these 10 numerical value type questions, you need to attempt any 5 questions.
If you are planning to appear in JEE Main 2021 examination, get prepared according to the following scheme and schedule of examination.
Scheme of JEE Main Examination
If you have applied only for B.E./B. Tech courses then you have to appear only for Paper - 1 that comprises of objective type questions. While those of you who have applied for both B. Tech and B. Arch courses have to appear for both Paper - 1 and Paper - 2.
- Paper - 1 consists of three parts- Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics respectively. All the three subjects have equal weightage in the paper and comprise objective type questions.
- Paper - 2 is meant only for B. Architecture and B. Planning courses consisting of Mathematics, Aptitude and Drawing tests respectively. The Aptitude Test is designed to evaluate your perception, imagination, observation, creativity and architectural awareness.
Choice of Medium of Question Papers
If you opt for an examination center in any of the cities in Gujarat, Daman & Diu or Dadra and Nagar Haveli, you can choose any of the English, Hindi or Gujarati as the medium of Question Paper. For all other cities, you have the option of choosing either English medium or Hindi medium of Question Paper.
You need to exercise the option of medium of question paper at the time of filling up the application form. Once you have exercise the option of a medium of question paper, you cannot change it later.
Scoring and Negative Marking
In Paper - 1, you have the following marking pattern
- 20 objective type questions with four answer options out of which you need to mark only one answer option as correct. Four (4) marks will be awarded if the question is answered correctly. If you answer it wrong, one-fourth (1/4) of the total marks allotted i.e. one (1) mark shall be deducted for that question.
- 10 numerical value type questions, out of which you need to attempt any 5 questions. Four (4) marks will be awarded if the question is answered correctly. If you answer it wrong, no marks shall be deducted for that question.
Admission & Counselling criteria and Seat Allocation procedure.
You can take a glance at the final list of institutions admitting students (with intake in each discipline and category as per reservation) through JEE (Main) - 2020 on the CCB (Central Counseling Board) website after June 2021. It also provides you with information regarding counselling procedure, counselling schedule and counseling centers.
Generally, 4-5 rounds for Seat Allotment are conducted by CCB and also conducts a Spot round for those of you who could not manage to get a seat in any of the rounds in order to fill the vacant seats left in various institutions.
All required documents of yours and scrutinized and verified at the time of counselling/admission. These include identity and age proof, Marksheets and Certificates of qualifying examination, state of eligibility and category Certificates of the candidate. For instance, if you belong to SC, ST, OBC and PWD categories you need to produce original certificates authenticating the same, issued by the competent authority at the time of counselling. On failing to produce any of the documents at that time, your candidature may be canceled for admission.